Wednesday, January 21

Periphery

On Sunday night we visited ShireLive, which was great. Their opening video sequence reminded me (again) of something which has really helped shape some of my thought process recently.

For the last few years at Hillsong Conference, there has been a very effective video shown before each major session which has made a lasting impression on me. The visuals have changed each year, but the soundtrack has remained the same - and I often think about how successfully I and my church are living up to this statement:


"The church is not peripheral to the world, the world is peripheral to the church"


A statement of fact, but how well does my life line up with that? Or my church? Or my denomination? Can I say that my life reflects the reality that I am "the head and not the tail".

To be honest, while I know it's fact - sometimes I don't think I'm anywhere near close enough given the amount of influence I have in my church, work and social life. And that's more than a little bit scary. I'm not consumed by it - I think it's a healthy fear :-)


How about you? What does this statement mean for you ?

1 comments:

Me... said...

hmmmm...can i get back to you on that peripheral thing? haha.

i think that's a question that everybody (I know me, most definetly) should ask themselves on the regular.

Now you've got me thinking