Saturday, January 3

Fun with Cheese

I know I've already blogged today, and I told myself when I started this that I'd only post once per day.  I'm glad I didn't publicize that though (oops...too late...), since after 3 days I've already "broken the rules" twice.


Anyway, there's a really good reason.  After the D&M nature of the posts so far, this one is much more fun, but still within my blog's BHAG ** ;-)

Today, my wonderful wife casually stated she needed some of my cheese on toast.  I wasn't eating anything at the time, and it took me a while to work out that what she meant was the way I make cheese on toast.

By this stage, you're likely asking yourself what on earth could be so great about the way I make cheese on toast.  Well, I'm here to tell you it is pretty special.  Really.  And yes, I realise this isn't a food blog, but my wife and I are fairly food oriented, so it was always going to make its way in here at some point.

We also often have heaps of fun together when we are either cooking, eating or attempting to clean the kitchen.  I say attempting, because it often turns into a ballroom dancing 'spectacular' (I use the word loosely) rather than getting the kitchen cleaned...

David's Cheese on Toast
1. Toast one or two slices of thick cut wholemeal or wholegrain bread.
2. Spread with cream cheese.  Preferably, use a low-fat version.  Firstly, it's better for you.  Secondly, it actually tastes better for cheese on toast.  No, really...
3. After you've spread the cream cheese, in much the same way as you would spread butter (like, duh), spread another layer of cream cheese.  It should now be all the way to edge of the toast, and fairly thickly spread too.
4. Choose your favourite "evil" cheese.  Usually something really mature and crumbly.  I particularly like using a vintage pickled onion cheese.  But it can also be fun to try things like double cream brie, or chili camembert, or gruyere, or emmental, or even a good fresh parmesan.  So many options, so little time...
5. Slice a thin layer of the evil cheese onto the cream cheese covered toast.
6. Using a good low-fat cheddar, top with thick slices that cover whole of the bread.  No crust should be showing, or it will get burnt.  Again, the low fat cheese melts better for cheese on toast - if you're doing it properly that is, which is slowly.  Of course, this is all my opinion...but it's my blog after all.
7. Put it under your grill.  Make sure it's on a fairly low rack so it doesn't get too brown before all that lovely cheese has had a chance to really melt together.  It should take between 4 and 7 minutes depending on your grill, I'd think.
8. When golden brown and bubbling, remove from the grill and allow to sit for around a minute or two.  This will allow the cheese on top to just start to 'set' a little bit again.  Again, this is vital in my opinion.  If you think otherwise, "it's your funeral"... as 'they' say.  I'm not sure who they are, but they do. Apparently.
9.  Eat.  Be careful not to burn your tongue.  I'd also advise not giving in to temptation by having more than 2 slices.  Even with all that low fat cheese, your body will not be happy.
10. Leave any left over cheese out until it turns blue.  OK, so it's a weak link back to "moulding my world", but it's close to midnight and I should be getting to bed.  Tomorrow is Sunday, and Sunday's are great!


**  ask me if you (a) have no idea what that is and (b) don't want to search my previous posts to find out.  ie: you're lazy...

0 comments: