Tuesday, February 3

Some explanation

In response to my last post, which for a few of you is the first time you've heard some of the loony creative stuff that comes out of my mind and mouth, some background. This may be reminiscent of the 25 Things tagging on Facebook; I really must do that, I was tagged a while back...

1. I don't play any instruments, so it's me and my voice. There are loads of reasons for this, at least one being the amount of time I spent in choirs at school and university.
2. Most of the music I've written in the past 5 years has been congregational praise and worship music, often to suit a specific season in my church, but a few that have lasted the distance too.
3. We're going to do some studio recording this year which will hopefully result in an album.
4. I'm getting off topic.
5. Despite not playing instruments, I know lots of theory, so instead of playing a guitar or keyboard, I sit and move dots & lines around the screen, adjusting intensity, length, pitch, etc. However, it means that what I create in this way is very different to what I create with my church worship team. This is a good thing.
6. I love electronic music, especially the crossover of electronica (or armchair techno & intelligent techno, my fave names from the early 90s) with choral music.
7. Writing for me, rather than congregationally, only restarted in December 08. However, I was a little distracted by how much fun Garageband is and have only completed this one song...and then only because of joining @ourcc. Nearly everything else I've done on there has been (somewhat dodgy) recordings of some of the more congregational songs I've written, usually in a very different manner.
8. I might post some of those here for your curiosity too :) This may also include some older recordings, and maybe even some that I've done which don't have explicitly Christian lyrics.
9. My wife and I often discuss the difference between relative and absolute truth, and the general shift in society to the whole "this is my truth, tell me yours" type of thing, rather than an acceptance that some things just are, no matter what you do or do not believe. This was a major seed point for what became "Unchangeable Truth".
10. With the idea floating in my head for ages, the process of physically 'getting it down' only began on Saturday after the huge week of prayer at my church meant zilch self-creativity time...it was worth it though.

That's 10 lines of somewhat interconnected thought. I'm looking forward to where all this goes!

2 comments:

Nathan said...

Still enjoying your creativity, by the way ;o)

David said...

Thanks Nate!