Monday, February 2

Our Creative Community : Song for January

Yes, I know it's February already...I missed it by just over a day, so you're gonna have to extend me a little grace.

Here's my first "submission" for the Our Creative Community accountability club (or whatever we are :) Thankfully, the showcase post where this will be linked to isn't there yet, so I'm in the clear for the moment - haha! EDIT: it's definitely there now, so head on over and share in the creativity!

For the few of you who actually know me, you'll know that this song doesn't really fit with much that I've done before...but it is probably more the kind of thing you should & would expect from me. That includes anyone who's found my music lurking on Worship The Rock or MySpace, or (years ago), on radio in Australia and a few web stations from time to time. What's been posted there doesn't really prepare you for this I don't think...though there were pointers along the way

For everyone else, including those who read my worship blog, who knows what you expected?!? Probably not this in any case...

Musically, it's much less complicated that I usually go for...perhaps lacking in variation. The mix is also lacking a bit in bass it seems. It had way too much in an earlier version. At least it's less muddy vocally now...

Lyrics are below, and most of you will probably recognise that they are drawn from Genesis 1 and John 1, specifically the Amplified Bible (which I read quite a lot as it's the translation I chose for my phone). It was originally inspired by Ecclesiastes 7:8, which paraphrases to "the end is better than the beginning". But that didn't end up in the song anywhere, and neither did the title, which was the starting point for the song. I thought about calling it "Unchangeable Truth", but I like "In The Beginning", and it's even more appropriate considering it's the beginning of this creative accountability lark.

So, let me know what you think...the good, the bad, the ugly - even if you don't like the genre, etc, I want to know because it's this critiquing business that helps us (me) grow and become greater at what God's put in our (my) hearts to impact His kingdom!


Before all time, before the earth and sea were formed, in Him was Life
Before the sun, before the moon and all the stars, Life was Light
This has been and will always be unchangeable truth

When earth was formless, when all was darkness
Life hovered, brooded o'er the waters
The Word was spoken, and all creation, was made through Light
This has been and will always be unchangeable truth

The Light shines on in the darkness
The Light shines on in the darkness
For the darkness has never absorbed it
The darkness cannot absorb it
This has been and will always be unchangeable truth

The Light shines on...



EDIT: after having some sleep, and then getting the comment from my wonderful sister Cee (nearly typed your name...lol), I'm convinced of good reasons to rename it "Unchangeable Truth". Do let me know if you think this was a silly idea ;)



8 comments:

Cee said...

Yes...goosebumps!

You always leave me that way. Guess I am biassed.

Your Proud sis!

Will have to be more critical in the future for you. You might find me back again once this has time to absorb.

Actually as I listen and type I find the essence of the unchangeable truth really sinking in. The music and your voice does that well - carries and solidifies, confirms ..

Unchangeable truth would be a better title for me for the song than In the Beginning. Could you subtitle it? Prob better to decide. In the Beginning doesn't tell of the journey, bring this to the present, which is the important thing in shaping our space isnt it Dave?

May the term unchangeble truth is speaking to me at the moment and this song is just bringing it to the fore!!

Yes even in calm, I have goosebumps and have typed to much :)

David said...

You've convinced me on that point re the title not telling of the journey...

So I'm going to do some edits to the post to reflect the new title.

Thanks Cathy :)

(and yeah, you are biased. Btw, might get a recording of "Found" done...hopefully!)

Anonymous said...

Definitely enjoyed listening to this one!

I think I'd love to hear a little more effects on the vocals. More of a in a large hall sound.

This has a chant-like quality to it and honestly it really connects me to the timeless. I love it!

Great stuff!

David said...

Thanks Russ!

I was tempted to put some hall stuff on the lead, I do that all the time, but I actually wanted to go for something a little more intimate up front, with the harmony being way off in the distance. I might do another mix(I've very new at this home recording stuff).

Realised I didn't really post much of the story/inspiration for how this came about...I might leave another comment for that later...

Jenni Clayville said...

your voice is soothing.

so soothing... i'm almost asleep.

... in a good way :)

Cee said...

Can't wait to hear 'Found' recorded. That song is so special to us! And I'll forgive you just this once for typing my full name in the comments. :)

Unknown said...

first, how come youre not on Wordpress yet??? =)

i agree with russ on putting some effect on your vocals. that would be very fitting here.

its so creative. having never heard you before, i didnt know what to expect. but in your post, you said to your regular listeners that this may not be what they're expecting. so...what else you got for us? ;-)

oh. and the accent. yah. my favorite!!!

David said...

Jenni: thanks, I think :)

Tam: I'll post some of my other stuff on here, probably this week while you're getting recreated ;)

And I've done a bit of an explanation/background post too - didn't want to waste it on a comment!